It seems like everyone is talking about this whole podcasting thing. It also seems like everyone has a favorite podcast that they like to listen to, but how do you find podcasts to listen to?
Here are the top 5 ways to find podcasts to listen to:
- Someone’s website. Many website publishers have links to their podcasts right on the website. Comedians are really good about linking to their podcast right from their webpages.
- Twitter. Many podcasts publishers will tweet out when there’s a new episode of their podcast. You can simply do a search on twitter for the word “podcast” and you’re likely to find something that you would want to listen to.
- Google. Well, yes, Google. Do a search for whatever topic you’re interested in followed by the word podcast and enclose your search string in quotes. For example: “aviation podcast.” Performing the search with the string in quotes, tells Google that you’re looking for something with those 2 words on the page. If you don’t find a podcast in something that you’re looking for, why not start one yourself?
- Your friends. Ask your friends what podcasts they like to listen to. They may not know what a podcast is, or they may subscribe to several different podcasts. If you happen to like something that a friend of yours also likes, that’s an instant conversation starter.
- ITunes music store. If you don’t already have it installed, install the free iTunes player, and go to the iTunes music store’s podcast section. They have a very thorough and categorized list of different podcasts in almost every genre imaginable listed. You can subscribe from within iTunes and have the podcasts automatically delivered to your computer whenever a new episode comes out.
Bonus #6: Go to libsyn.com and do a search for podcasts there. Liberated Syndication is a podcast distribution network. You can search their website for podcasts to listen to and subscribe to your preferred podcast right there.
The iTunes music store is probably the cleanest and easiest to navigate.
I should also mention, that you do not need an iPod to listen to podcasts, nor do you need an iPod to install and use iTunes. If you have an iPod, you need iTunes to use the iPod, but you do not need an iPod to use iTunes.
You will need to create an iTunes music store account in order to subscribe to podcasts through there, but the account is free and the vast majority of the podcasts listed in the store are also free to subscribe and listen to.
There you have it. That’s 6 different methods that you can use to find podcasts to listen to.